Re: For those who are interested in making digital negatives using pigmented inksets

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias ^lt;jeffrey.d.mathias@att.net>
Date: 01/02/04-08:45:08 AM Z

Mark Nelson wrote:
> I am wondering what printer you used to print the
> line pairs.

HP DeskJet-970 which can print resolution of 2400 x 1200 dpi.
No dot gain at 600 dpi. Dot gain is kept in check by limiting the
amount of ink delivered. I have been sandwiching three digital
negatives together to get the needed density (similar to using masks
when building negatives.) However, I will check the lines printed
horizontal sometime.

> I was looking for information on what the human eye can resolve and so
> far have come up with something in the neighborhood of 300 ppi—if anyone
> has information on that, plus the number of gray levels that the human
> eye can distinguish (I've seen everything from 200 to 1000) I would
> appreciate the site.

That information as part of a scientific study would be interesting. I
will comment that I can notice a difference in ink on paper prints of
300 and 600 lpi resolutions. If Carl Fransman is still on this list,
perhaps he can comment from his first hand experience with high
resolution printing.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/