Re: For those who are interested in making digital negatives using pigmented inksets

From: Jonathan Borden ^lt;jonathan@openhealth.org>
Date: 01/02/04-09:08:50 AM Z

Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:

> The following link shows a simple way to measure the resolution of the
> paper. In this case, the paper is Crane's Cover-90. It seems to be
> able to resolve somewhere between 300 and 600 lpi. A 600 ppi negative
> should have enough resolution so as not to be detectable when using
> this paper. I would not recommend 360 ppi as this would not yet be
> beyond the resolving capability of this paper.
>
> http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/guide/digital/appendicies.htm#resolution

Nice article. A couple of questions:

1) is the upshot that digital negatives produce visibly worse/different
results from conventional negatives?
2) the contrast of the digital prints seems higher and in particular the
shadow detail seems less. Is this the case when viewed "not on the web"?
Would a curves adjustment help?
3) That is to say, can one use photoshop techniques to improve upon the
conventional negative and thus overcome some of the inherent
difficulties with using a digitally reproduced negative?

Jonathan