RE: For those who are interested in making digital negatives using pigmented inksets

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@yahoo.com>
Date: 01/02/04-10:58:45 AM Z

I would like to add 3rd party quadblack inksets like Conetech Piezotones
and some inksets from MIS (Full Spectrum inkset for instance - although
there are indivuals who found MIS inks incompatible with Pictorico and
there are other individuals like me who encountered no incompatibility -
for the black at least) to the list. These inks also give plenty of
density for pt/pd printing (see D. Burkholder's site for the in favor
comments on Piezography inks).

The advantages of these inks are:
1) You can buy them in bulk quantities (such 4oz bottles) and save
considerable amnt. of money
2) You can also get "very nice" B&W prints that don't show any
metamerism or different hues in different grays - color crossovers,
prints with dotless highlights and open shadows (Epson drivers print
pure black after 95%) virtually free from dithering patterns.

The disadvantages are:
a) You can only print to matte paper (except for one MIS inkset) - I
don't think this is a disadvantage for people on the alt. process list
;)
b) Relatively low Dmax (around 1.5 - 1.7 depending on inkset and paper)
- this is related to entry (a).

Regards,
Loris.