Re: For those who are interested in making digital negatives using pigmented inksets

From: Jonathan Borden ^lt;jonathan@openhealth.org>
Date: 01/02/04-09:14:16 AM Z

Ender100@aol.com wrote:

>I was looking for information on what the human eye can resolve and so far
>have come up with something in the neighborhood of 300 ppi—if anyone has
>information on that, plus the number of gray levels that the human eye can
>distinguish (I've seen everything from 200 to 1000) I would appreciate the site.

Different resolutions for different eyes :-). Most people can resolve in
the range of 200-300 levels, but a good eye can resolve more, perhaps in
the range of 1000 (i.e. 2^10). This assumes a very wide dynamic range
for viewing i.e. a very bright lightbox or monitor -- there are
specialized video cards and B/W monitors ($$$) used in the
medical/radiologic setting which can display 2^10 levels and
radiologists have been shown to be able to make use of this information.
Of course YMMV, and in a print, I'd say fagedabodit.

Jonathan