Re: Those darn fish-eyes

From: Kate Mahoney ^lt;kateb@paradise.net.nz>
Date: 01/07/04-02:54:54 PM Z

To add to this - I've been watching for fish-eyes since this discussion
began - I get them, but because I use a roller to smooth off the coat, they
disappear entirely. I agree with Dave on this, another brushing will get rid
of them in most cases. I use gelatin at 45 deg C, the recommended
temperature for gelatine. I disagree with Dave on the heating processs tho,
cooks know ( Granny was a Home Ec teacher)that gelatin can stick and burn -
that's the reason for the water bath - also..........it shouldn't be
overheated as this breaks it down and reduces setting capacity (or so I have
always been told), and heating in a pot heats unevenly, causing the whole
boiling (lol) to become suspect.
Kate