Re: Argyrotype

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 01/08/04-07:52:49 AM Z

Stane,
     I bet why I had no problem with it was that I only used the papers
recommended. There was no washout, it did not leach out over extended
washings, it was bleachable with pot ferri if I got it too dark, and it
looked like rich chocolate velvet on Rives. Mmmmm.... However, not being a
VDB printer, I have nothing to compare my results to, so it is possible VDB,
as you and Sandy think, is a better process.

     The papers I have listed are BFK ($2 or $3 per sheet vs. $10 for
Buxton), Atlantis Silversafe, Canson's Opalux Vellum, Crane's Parchment Wove
and 3111 and Kid Finish, Hollingsworth Kent, Saunder's Waterford, Somerset,
Whatman's Watercolor and Printmaking.

     Two problems with unsuitable papers: yellow stain does not wash out,
or brown areas wash out. However, nothing in my notes about silvering out.
Can't wait to find out the cause--Christine, did you retry it on the same
paper with no sizing? And, if it is not getting dark enough, are you
exposing enough? Is it not getting dark enough because it is washing out of
the unsuitable paper?
Chris