Re: Argyrotype

From: Stane Kočar ^lt;stane.kocar@siol.net>
Date: 01/08/04-03:42:11 AM Z

Since I have made quite a few argyrotypes and VanDyke Brown prints last
year, I may put in my 0,02 cents.
I found argyrotype very simple (just brush n' go) or quite difficult, paper
plays definitely big role. I suspect (not tested - this waits for this year)
that quantity of Tween must be fine tuned for every paper, maybe even for
different moisture content. I have excelent examples of completely
"failured" pictures. Let say on Fabriano Artistico (no good for cyanotypes
too) or Fabriano 5 - almost complete picture was flooded from the paper in
wash phase, only a faint picture is visible (but anyhow pictures is
interesting in one way - very different from OK ones). Fabriano 4 or
Fabriano 6 is better but the contrast is weak (low D-max). Then I tried
almost every paper I can get in local art shop. Some works, some not.
Sometimes I managed to make argyrotypes, which is almost identical with
VanDyke's and I have problems to recognize which is which.
On the other day I made good ones until a day or two later they fades
consideraby.
(Oh I forgot to check the phase of the moon on that days!!).
Anyway, some of them is quite OK, asnd I am pleased with.

Van Dyke Brown print is for me more consistent, almost no waste prints,
better Dmax on different papers.

Regards from Slovenia
Stane Kocar