Re: humidity in your darkroom........

From: Ender100@aol.com
Date: 01/11/04-12:42:18 PM Z

Christine,

And not only are your prints better, but I'll bet your cigars are tasting a
lot better too!

It's funny how we read articles on the Web and books and magazines and posts
on this list and somehow tuck the information away in our little brains.
When my printing went South late this fall, I finally had a lightbulb go on
inside my head, and no matter how dim it was, it was taxed by the amount of
darkness in there, but that's another story—anyway, I remembered how much Carl Weese
had stressed the importance of humidity and comments by Dick Sullivan
regarding the phone calls they would get in the fall at Bostick & Sullivan from people
complaining that their printing had suddenly declined in quality. If I
remember correctly Carl and Dick at first thought it was possibly due to
temperature drops people were experiencing in their darkrooms out in the woodshed.
They ran some tests to see how temperature affected it. While doing that, they
realized that along with the temperature drop, came a drop in humidity.
Once they tested printing at various levels of humidity, they found the real
culprit.

Since I have my little hygrometer here to glance at once in a while, I'm
amazed at how quickly humidity can drop in the winter near Chicago. If my
humidifier runs out of water, it can go from 50% RH to 20% RH in a heartbeat. When
I am coating and printing I boost it to 60%. I wonder how many processes
are so dependent upon humidity? We've had a pretty mild winter so far—if we go
into a period of sub zero weather I may have to hang my magic brush on the
wall and read a good book for the duration—or organize my negatives.

On the other hand, it's embarrassing when you over do the humidity thing and
your emulsion sticks to your negative and the glass on your plate burner. Of
course, that has never happened to me—I think I heard about it from Sandy King
—but of course, it wasn't Sandy—must have been a friend of his.

Mark Nelson