Re: Roller for gum (was: Re: humidity in your darkroom........

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 01/20/04-11:31:14 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
> > Blacklow p. 127.
> >
> > As far as humidity and temp, both increase dark reaction acording to many
> > authors--the insolubilizing of gum at a quicker rate, without exposure to
> > sun.
>
> Actually this is a perfect quote on several points, illustrating what's
> wrong wrong wrong not only about most gum lit, but about alt lit in
> general. Note the "according to many authors." Oh, residual matter !
> What that obviously means is she doesn't have a clue, CERTAINLY hasn't
> tested for herself, and has simply skimmed the usual suspects and copied,
> non-commitally. That method of cut and paste technology is rampant,
> endemic, and quite deadly in so many of our "bibles." In fact it's THE
> primary authority on gum.

If I had ever got to my comment on the citations from the literature
about humidity, I would have said that I don't believe gum is Blacklow's
medium, so I wouldn't expect any of her information on the topic to be
firsthand. But I got sidetracked when I couldn't find the attributed
information in the cited sources, and I still don't know if Blacklow
actually said that business about dichromate sensitivity being altered
by humidity that she was cited for; the proffered page and quote
certainly didn't speak to it. But if she did, I'd still want to know
whether she saw that herself, or just conjectured it, as Christina
wondered, or read it somewhere.
kt