Re: Roller for gum (was: Re: humidity in your darkroom........

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 01/20/04-07:13:52 PM Z

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
> Blacklow p. 127.
>
> As far as humidity and temp, both increase dark reaction acording to many
> authors--the insolubilizing of gum at a quicker rate, without exposure to
> sun.

Actually this is a perfect quote on several points, illustrating what's
wrong wrong wrong not only about most gum lit, but about alt lit in
general. Note the "according to many authors." Oh, residual matter !
What that obviously means is she doesn't have a clue, CERTAINLY hasn't
tested for herself, and has simply skimmed the usual suspects and copied,
non-commitally. That method of cut and paste technology is rampant,
endemic, and quite deadly in so many of our "bibles." In fact it's THE
primary authority on gum.

(And I also note that Kosar is a fine example of this method, although
possibly through sheer weight of footnotes has been accorded an authority
I have never found in his pages, studded as they are with "probably,"
"possibly," and similar equivocations. I'll add however, that some wicked
evil pro-authoritarian has snuck into my house & stolen that book, because
after high, low & inbetween search, it cannot be found.)

Digression aside, there's also the fact that the meaning of the term "dark
reaction" is, I believe, distorted above. Certainly my understanding of
the term is that it means, once exposed to light, the reaction CONTINUES,
even in the dark. which was why commercial photographers in early days who
exposed a whole production line to sunlight and then developed all
together at the end of the day, changed exposure progressively, giving
less in the first hours to allow for "dark reaction."

If that phrase had been written "without *further* exposure to sun", it
would have been OK, tho the "many authors" part is still a turnoff. I
think anyway as a rule we refer to a coating that has been reduced (or
whatever the chemical reaction) by sitting too long on the paper or other
adverse condition such as heat and/or humidity even without light exposure
as "fogged."

Judy