Re: CITATIONS

From: Barry Kleider ^lt;bkleider@sihope.com>
Date: 01/21/04-02:34:21 PM Z

OK, so, I was going to sit on my hands and not say anything.

BUT

I've been gathering witty sayings and pithy quotes for a few years. (thanks
for the additions, by the way.)

without further ado, I introduce:

**********The Quote Jar**************

Tah-Dah!

One year I printed them all out, laminated them, cut them down to size, and
stuffed them in pretty jars as presents.

Barry

****************

The function of art is to renew our perception. What we are familiar with we
cease to see. The artist shakes up the familiar scene, and, as if by magic,
we see it anew.

Anais Nin

There is virtue in virtuosity, especially today, when it protects us from
the tedious spectacle of ineptitude.

Robert Hughes

Fiery yearnings their own phantom future make, and deem it present. So if,
after all these fearful, fainting trances, the verdict be, the golden haven
was not gained; -- yet, in bold quest thereof, better to sink in boundless
deeps, than float on vulgar shoals; and give me, ye Gods, an utter wreck, if
wreck I do.

Herman Melville

Author of Moby Dick

There are stars whose light reaches the earth

Only after they themselves have disintegrated.

And there are individuals

Whose memory lights the world after they have passed from it.

These lights shine the darkest night and illumine for us the path.

Hannah Senesh

When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty. I only think
about how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is
not beautiful, I know it is wrong. -- Buckminster Fuller

If you're going through Hell, keep going.

Winston Churchill

Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention,
sincere effort, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as
opportunities.

Service is the lifeblood of any organization. Everything flows from it and
is nourished by it. Customer service is not a department. It's an attitude.

Make it so.

Jean Luc Pickard, Captain USS Enterprise

Greatness is not where we stand but the direction we're moving. Sometimes we
sail with the wind, sometimes against it - but sail we must, and not drift
or lie at anchor.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world, and that is an
idea whose time has come.

Victor Hugo

You can use an eraser on the drafting table or a sledge hammer on the
construction site.

Frank Lloyd Wright

The universe is made of stories, not of atoms.

Muriel Rukeyser

The Kingdom of Heaven is within you...Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven
and all things will be added unto you.

Jesus

The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.

Buddha, from The Dhammapada

The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice.

George Eliot, Daniel Deronda

Those who wish to sing always find a song.

Swedish proverb

Happiness is not a matter of events; it depends upon the tides of the mind."

Alice Meynell

Joy has nothing to do with material things, or with man's outward
circumstance...A man living in the lap of luxury can be wretched, and a man
in the depths of poverty can overflow with joy.

William Barclay

Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by
preparation. Foolish preparation?"

Jane Austen

Remember that happiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Roy M. Goodman

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to
find it elsewhere."

Agnes Repplier

It is a painful thing to look at your own trouble and know that you yourself
and no one else has made it."

Sophocles, Ajax, c. 450 B.C.

I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds around my neck."

Emma Goldman

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment.

Lao-tzu

See the false as false, the truth as true. Look into your own heart, follow
your nature.

The Dhammapada

If you do not ask yourself what it is you know, you will go on listening to
others and change will not come because you will not hear your own truth.

Saint Bartholomew

We have what we seek, it is there all the time, and if we give it time, it
will make itself known to us.

Thomas Merton

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they
are after.

Henry David Thoreau

A person will be called to account on judgment day for every permissible
thing that he might have enjoyed but did not.

Jerusalem Talmud

The trouble with being in the rat race is that even if you win, you're still
a rat.

Lily Tomlin

Rita Mae Brown

Often people attempt to live their lives backwards: they try to have more
things, or more money in order to do more of what they want so that they
will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be
who you really are, then, do what you need to do, in order to have what you
want.

Margaret Young

It's not having been in the dark house, but having left it that counts.

Theodore Roosevelt

When written in Chinese, the word crisis is composed of two characters. One
represents danger, and the other represents opportunity.

John F. Kennedy

I saw sorrow turning to clarity.

Yoko Ono

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible
summer.

Albert Camus

Keep on sowing your seeds, for you never know which will grow - perhaps it
all will.

Ecclesiastes, 11:6

Chance is always powerful. Let your hook always be cast; in the pool where
you least expect it, there will be fish.

Ovid

Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how. The moment
you know how, you begin to die a little. The artist never entirely knows. We
guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.

Agnes de Mille

Whatever is flexible and loving will tend to grow; whatever is rigid and
blocked will wither and die.

Lao-tzu

Live! Yes! Life is a banquet and most suckers are starving to death."

Patrick Dennis, Auntie Mame

Question: What do you see yourself doing five years from now?

Answer: I have no idea. I've never had a career plan and never will. I just
always make sure that I'm doing something I love at the moment, and I find
out where it takes me. I float downriver, then I wake up and say, 'Oh, here
I am. I've had a swell float.'"

Diane Sawyer, interviewed in US Magazine, September 1997

The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not.

Stephen Sondheim, Move On

The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.

The Dalai Lama

The secret of health for both the mind and the body is not to mourn for the
past, not to worry about the future, nor to anticipate troubles, but to live
the present moment wisely and earnestly.

Buddha

Yesterday is ashes; tomorrow wood. Only today does the fire burn brightly.

Old Eskimo saying

Let me embrace thee, sour adversity, for the wise men say it is the wisest
course.

Shakespeare, Henry VI

This is the day which the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Psalms

Do not worry about tomorrow's trouble, for you do not know what the day may
bring. Tomorrow may come and you will be no more, and so you will have
worried about a world that is not yours.

Babylonian Talmud

To be alive, to be able to see, to walk...it's all a miracle. I have adopted
the technique of living life from miracle to miracle.

Arthur Rubinstein

You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace before the concert
and the opera, and grace before the play and pantomime, and grace before I
open a book, and grace before sketching, painting, swimming, fencing,
boxing, walking, playing, dancing, and grace before I dip the pen in the
ink.

G.K. Chesterton

If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain;

If I can ease one life the aching, or cool one pain,

Or help one fainting robin unto his nest again,

I shall not live in vain."

Emily Dickinson

Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates
profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.

Lao-tzu

The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches,
but to reveal to him his own.

Benjamin Disraeli

Life gets life. Energy creates energy. It is by spending oneself that one
becomes rich.

Sarah Bernhart

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be
happy, practice compassion.

The Dalai Lama

This above all: to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night
follows day, thou canst not then be false to any man.

Shakespeare, Hamlet

When truth is buried, it grows, it chokes, it gathers such explosive force
that on the day it breaks out it blows everything up with it."

Emile Zola, J'Accuse, 1898

When one is pretending, the entire body revolts.

Anais Nin

The enemy of the truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived,
and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy, 1962

The truth shall make you free.

John, 8:32

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see
takes time - like to have a friend takes time.

Georgia O'Keefe

Barry Kleider
Photographer. Arts Educator.
612.722.9701