Gum Printing Website

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 01/22/04-03:34:06 PM Z

My gum printing website isn't finished, but it's going to be a while
before I have time to do anything more on it, so I've decided to upload
what I've got and finish it in place when I can.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/

The introduction page is basically a handout I use when I'm talking to
groups of people who don't know the least thing about gum printing,
(with a few additions) so it's pretty kindergarten. The rest is what I
know from my own experience about gum printing. Use it if it's useful,
don't if it's not. My New Year's present to the world of gum printing.

There are pages on method, materials and equipment, pigments (which will
be added to later) and stain, and I have added some images to what I had
before in the images gallery.

There are two pages I haven't started writing yet: one on the chemistry
of the gum process and one that will have visual examples of things that
can go wrong, to use for troubleshooting.

I took all the technical explanations off the images, in response to a
criticism, but have since decided that criticism was silly and I'm
starting to put them back, but haven't got very far with that project
yet. This is an educational site, and how can it be educational if you
can't use the images to teach from.

I've totally given up obsessing about trying to get a perfect
reproduction and have come to accept that the only thing I can be sure
of is that almost no one will see the images exactly the way they're
supposed to look, and that just has to be all right.

Write me privately if there's a broken link or if you want to talk about
gum printing, since I'm not watching the list at the moment (death in
the family and other stuff have my attention elsewhere).
Katharine Thayer