Re: Color Daguerreotypes?

From: Phillip Murphy ^lt;pmurf@bellsouth.net>
Date: 01/24/04-07:07:59 PM Z

"A Treatise on Heliochromy" is a unique collection of not only the
process of the Hillotype but of fascinating experiments in Alternative
photography. An original copy of the book came into the possession
of William Becker while researching the work of Levi L. Hill.
It was re-printed by the Carnation Press, State College, Penn. 1972.

Levi Hill was well known in Daguerreian circles. He wrote several
books on the Daguerreotype before the "Treatise on Heliochromy". It's true
that he was a Baptist preacher, however, in the time of his experiments
with color photography his primary income was from teaching the
Daguerreian art and portrait sittings. He had several inventions that
brought him income, one was a glass-silvering process that he sold for
$5,000.(1850's dollars) All of his income was poured into his
experimentation. Later, he made his money in Petroleum .

Hill was a great teacher and he understood that simply giving the
formula for the process was not nearly enough to insure success in
it's apprenticeship. The chapters in his book on Heliochromy outline
not only the history of known experiments in the attempt to create
color photography, but a logical progression of experiments using
every possible substance to achieve the aim. It's a compendium of
processes that Hill abandoned but could certainly be explored
by alternative photographic artists. The use of plant juices goes back
to the Anthotype of Sir John Herschel and before.
http://www.alternativephotography.com/process_anthotype
There is no organic matter used in the Hillotype process; unless one
includes the gutta percha containers for the corrosives.

Full color photography was achieved by Hill in 1852 with exposures
of two seconds. Previous to this, the experiments of Edmund Becquerel,
and those of Niepce de St. Victor obtained limited colors using
exposures of two hours or longer.

-Phillip