Re: Color Daguerreotypes?

From: Jack Fulton ^lt;jefulton1@comcast.net>
Date: 01/24/04-11:42:04 AM Z

   This book was reprinted along with quite a few historical books on
various aspects of photography. I think it was Beaumont Newhall who was
behind this republishing of historical works. They are good facsimiles
of the original editions with adverts intact in the rear. They were
done by Arno Press which is in NYC I believe.
   Hill's treatise on color came about (again as I remember) through
years of research. He was primarily a Reverend and dabbled in
photography and the daguerreotype process. What tickled my fancy was
that he was taking flowers and natural colored flora, squeezing them to
obtain their essential juices, and incorporating that in to the
chemical soup. Apparently the process was very involved. His book is
long and rambles all over the place but apparently one can follow it
and obtain similar results.
   My gleaning was that some irony was involved with the chemistry to
the degree that in photographing a red brick wall it came out rusty in
coloration etc. Others since then, one, a Professor Boudreau, has
investigated and managed to obtain results to confirm Rev. HIll'
'invention'.
Jack Fulton

On Jan 23, 2004, at 2:40 PM, Gregory Popovitch wrote:

> Levi Hill wrote a book on his color process, which he named the
> Hillotype. The book's title is "A Treatise on Heliochromy" and
> has been reprinted, but is still hard to find (but you probably
> can get it via an inter-library loan).

And yes I said yes I will YES.
James Joyce