Re: Silver chloride contact printing papers - AZO

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 01/27/04-02:41:08 PM Z

From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Silver chloride contact printing papers - AZO
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:43:56 -0800

> Amidol tends to produce neutral or slightly cold toned
> images. The maximum density of the image is determined by
> the emulsion rather than the developer so Amidol blacks are
> no denser than those produced by other paper developers such
> as Kodak Dektol but the image color tends to make them look
> dense. Phenidone paper developers, like Ilford Bromophen,
> also tend to produce neutral or bluish image color so are
> probably as effective as Amidol without the cost.

Pure chloride emulsion is especially responsive to triazole,
tetrazole, iminazole, pyrimidine and other stabilizer/antifoggant
compounds and shift the hue to blue black direction. (More so than
warm tone chlorobromide emulsions.) So I suggest phenidone-based print
developer with these compounds, preferrably 1H-benzotriazole or
1-phenyl-5-mercaptotetrazole with Azo when cool black tone is desired.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Reality has always had too many heads." (Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound, 1997)