Re: Temperaprint

From: pete ^lt;temperaprint@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: 01/29/04-03:56:22 AM Z

Hello David,

> Hello Pete,
>

>> This maybe an indicator that exposure is your problem. Around your
>> white box do you have exposed egg emulsion.This would seem to
>> indicate that you just have not given enough exposure.
>

> Yes, I have lovely black border around my pictures. I'm just
> playing with black monochrome pictures (as I had several tubes of
> black liquatex on hand) though I'm looking forward to tri-color in the
> future.

Right just as I thought your problem is not with the exposure but with the
coating.

 I've tried oiled paper negatives (made on an inkjet)and I've also
> been using peeled RC paper negatives (a process I ironically also
> learned about in an older message you sent to this list!). Now
> that I think back, I believe the best success I've had, those where
> I was able to retain small pieces of the image, were with the RC
> images. I'm probably too quick to dismiss exposure and am probably
> overestimating the sensitivity of the dichromate.

Fine again no problem

> This is where I believe I may be having my biggest problem. I didn't
> actually consider this before. I think I may be using too much paint
> as well. The emulsion falls off with the same sort of gummy quality
> that acrylic paint peels when it's almost dry.
>
> I've been using more like 1 part paint + 3 parts STEM and considering
> I'm pretty liberal with the paint, it probably comes out to more like
> 1+2.
>
> I believe I may also need to work at getting the coating thinner.

This is where you are going wrong we have CRACKED it! Never make a mix
thicker than one part of pigment to six parts of STEM.In another e-mail to
the list I mentioned that that I use Phalocyanine blue PB15 acrylic one part
to ten (1+10) for testing. With this coating exposed in direct sunlight the
exposure will be in the order of one to three mins using your RC neg

> I think I had gotten it into my head that the brush was an absolute
> necessity for development. I was thinking that the colloid was so thick
> it needed more help than gum arabic, for example, to be released from
> the paper.

Forget about gum although they both share a common light sensitiser they
each work in a completely different manner.

 I can say, from visual inspection of eggs bought at the supermarket and
> eggs bought warmly laid, I could not ascertain any difference in them...lol
> Fresh eggs are fresh eggs.

There is a difference fresh eggs are slightly more viscous than stale.
Tempera painters often recommend free range hens eggs

 My main issue had simply been that since I'm
> printing small images right now (roughly 4x5) I've been throwing away
> quite a bit of STEM after a 1-2 printing sessions. Since it's roughly 1
> part sensitiser + 2 parts egg I can mix up smaller amounts at a time and
> not feel so wasteful...lol

I think you are putting the cart before the horse here. One egg contains
approx 50ml. So our STEM made with one egg would be 50mlegg + 25mlsat/sol
amm dichromate = 75ml need I say more ?

 Thank you VERY much for your assistance! I'll probably be back with
> more questions eventually, try to bare with me...lol

It is my pleasure David remember I am only an e-mail away

Pete