Re: And how sharp I am was/Re: Temperaprint & Gum

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 01/31/04-03:10:28 AM Z

From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
Subject: Re: And how sharp I am was/Re: Temperaprint & Gum
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 03:55:09 -0500 (EST)

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Ryuji Suzuki wrote:
>

> > If one knows what are the limits on sharpness of his/her material,
> > which is, say, entirely too much, and this person chooses an inferior
> > technique for a good reason, that is rational. If one's material and
> > technique lack enough sharpness and need a reason to be happy with it,
> > that's suspicious. (Same for archivalness, Dmax, whatever.)
>
> Again, IMO, you set up a false syllogism, or contrived dichotomy. Who gets
> to approve the "good reason"? What if my reasons are good to me and bad to
> you? Is there a committee? And who defines "inferior technique"?
> Kodak? Now you declare "that's suspicious." What do you *suspect*? That
> some artist hasn't properly toed the line? Oh feh !

I'm talking about one in general, and as my opinion. The person who
chooses "inferior" technique decides if the reason is good or not. Who
else would or should? I'm not interested in expressing my personal
judgments about who is (how many people are) seeking entirely too much
sharpness or whatever. What I need to know is what's around and what I
choose.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Reality has always had too many heads." (Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound, 1997)