Re: Editioning .... worthless...

From: steves ^lt;sgshiya@redshift.com>
Date: 07/04/04-11:35:31 AM Z

I like that bit of history; and to bring it up to date with the example of
Michael Kenna:

He numbers his prints and ACTUALLY MAKES forty-five prints, puts them in a
box and sells in a 'step value.' As the numbers sell, the remaining become
more expensive. So the original buyers have a $200 print and by the time
the popularity has increased to number forty, his charge has raised the
value of those with lower numbers; because his number forty to forty-five is
several thousand dollars.

One of his collectors remorsed, "Now that [Kennn] sold number forty, my
number 15 is so valuable compared to what I paid, it becomes difficult to
consider keeping it."

That's a dilemma!

Oh, well.

S. Shapiro