Re: Editions

From: steves ^lt;sgshiya@redshift.com>
Date: 07/04/04-11:28:17 AM Z

Good point. I think that goes to Judy's comment as well. What is missing
here is intent. The law pursues intent in claims of Grand Theft or fraud.

If those Man Ray negatives were used as 'reproduction from original
negatives' there would have been no fraud claims. Of course, there would
not have been those great prices, either; but still the trouble to find old
paper and reproduce the outdated pictures with the original negatives is a
collectable item in the eyes of the law, and in my opinion. Repeat: If the
intent, as in marking the sale as 'reproduction' to inform the seller.

To simply remake a print after an edition is not Grand Theft. I don't know
of any photographers who make an edition and sell it as such with the claim
that they will never make more.

What I don't like is when photographers make five or ten prints -- even
less -- and number them as a series of, say 1/45 to claim they will only
make forty-five copies. Then either fail to keep track or just keep making
them.

Well, they could say this was a picture, made with the intent of making only
forty-five and that was an evaluation of the artistic value; because they
have a one to ten that they judged to be of lesser importance; and this
numbering effect was their valuation of the importance of this one image.
There's nothing wrong with that, either; because there is really no standard
for editioning.

Even with books, there is not always an announcement as to what eidition
you're buying. There is, however, a copyright date with a book. That is an
entirely different subject.

S. Shapiro