Re: Gum Tri-Color Yellow

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 07/04/04-06:13:39 AM Z

Ender100@aol.com wrote:

> I wonder if the muddy brown is an issue not so much of the colors used, but perhaps poor color seperation in the negatives, or too fine a screen in the seperate negatives. Larger dots of each color might give better color rendition, just as it does with inkjet printing and matte papers.
>
> Mark Nelson

Not likely in my opinion. I haven't printed tricolor from continuous
tone negatives, although Dave has (sorry, I can't think of Dave's last
name at the moment, but you know, Cowboy Dave) quite successfully; I
don't remember seeing any brown tones in his tricolor gums. I've
printed tricolors from many different types and resolutions of digital
negatives, and I've never seen this brown tone in my own tricolor work
from beginning to end. So I'm inclined to say it has little to do with
the negative and much to do with the pigment. The fact that it didn't
improve for Tom with different curves but it did improve when he
switched from PV19 to PR209 should be an indication right there (I'm
assuming he was using the same negatives).

Katharine