Re: Editioning .... worthless...

From: Craig Zammiello ^lt;zamm@optonline.net>
Date: 07/04/04-09:27:49 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2004 10:01 PM
Subject: Re: Editioning .... worthless...

> A couple of other points: "Artist's proof" has not been mentioned here,
> but there are almost always several of them as well, which are given to
> friends, family, self, whatever and are hors de numbering.

In publishing limited etchings and lithos there are a host of prints outside
of the edition such as Artists proofs, Printers Proofs, Trail Proofs,
Working Proofs and HC's ( hors commerce). Again, these are ways of
establishing providence and keeping track of exactly what has been signed of
on.

> Finally, the style of 1/45, 2/45, 3/45 etc. for numbering, as most folks
> know, originated with etching or engraving as successive prints continued
> to wear down the plate, making the later numbers presumably less desirable
> -- and a low number supposedly more valuable.
> In photography, that particular format is at best an anachronism -- like
> the buggy whip.
> Judy

I would also add that with the active use of steel facing our copper
engravings, etchings and photogravures, this point is now moot also. Number
1/45 looks exactly the same as number 45/45. That is, if your doing your job
right...
I have seen over the years, certain collectors of a particular artist,
collecting the same number of each seperate edition such as number 4/30 of
an edition and number 4/28 of another, etc...
Takes all kinds,
Best, Craig Z.