Re: Full color gum printing

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 07/05/04-11:12:33 AM Z

Giovanni,

Have you tried clearing the print in a solution of potassium
metabisulphite or similar clearing agent? I've found a slightly
greenish cast results from the accumulated dichromate image (which I
believe others on the list refer to as "dichromate stain") followed by a
wash. You might also try a lightly printed magenta layer to neutralize
the color cast and adjust the overall color balance. I suggest magenta
since your description of the problem appears to center around a green
imbalance and magenta is its complementary color. (With pigments, G =
Y+B)

If you are familiar with chromogenic printing and have a set of print
viewing filters around, you might be able to better determine if the
present color imbalance is more to the green, yellow, or blue, and then
choose a more appropriate corrective pigment choice. It is difficult to
suggest more without knowing how the color imbalance is appearing. For
example, are the shadows too blue and the highlights too yellow with
green midtones? Each of these tones present a different quandary and
require a different solution.

I certainly would not throw the print away since it is difficult to ruin
a gum print by doing another lightly printed layer. If it doesn't look
correct, you can just wipe it off in the wash and do another layer. The
danger is overexposing the corrective layer so that it cannot be removed
with a bit of physical manipulation in the wash.

Joe

>>> gdimaseu@yahoo.com 07/05/04 10:55 AM >>>
I am trying to figure out what adjustments can be done to an almost
finish
full color gum print but unfortunately with either slightily too much
yellow, green or blue on the image.
If you have experienced the process you may have run that the pigment
may
had some problems or the expoure did not come out as planned and you
ended
up with this almost complete print but with a slightly different color.
My thoughts are than instead of throwing it away and start all over
again is
worth to try to fix it.
Any idea or experience you would like to share on this subject?
Thanks,
Giovanni
gdimaseu@yahoo.com