Re: plate holder woes (again)

From: Robert Newcomb ^lt;newcombr@uga.edu>
Date: 07/06/04-02:00:51 PM Z

Glass plates are about 1/16th (.060) thick, film is about .005 thick.
So if you put a glass plate in a standard spring back, the emulsion
will be too far forward (closer to the lens) as compared to the
groundglass focus screen. You can have an 8x10 glass plate holder
made, but you would also need to have a new grounglass panel made as
well so the focus planes match up.
 From what I've seen, wet plate holders were a good bit thicker then dry
plate holders or film holders. That may be what the Star company
person is saying, a wet plate holder would be too thick and a double
sided would be way too thick even to physically fit in a standard
spring back.
It can be done though, you just need a holder and a back.
Robert Newcomb