Re: Editioning ... and Unique Works of Art

From: Lisa Reddig ^lt;lisa@julianrichards.com>
Date: 07/07/04-08:15:26 AM Z

I'm interested to know where "collectors" get the idea that a photographer
will only do one print with a negative and never use it again. That is just
so insane to me. Why do we make good archival quality negatives if we are
expected to destroy them after printing them once? That's like a painter
never using the same color twice or the same brush or the same pair of hands
to make a painting. Collectors are asking way too much if they think I am
going to make one print and that's it. That's taking away an integral
aspect of photography. One of the amazing qualities of photography is the
numerous ways a single image can be printed and interpreted by the artist.
The image on the negative is not the final image. It can be manipulated and
interpreted by the printing of it. And when I grow and change over the
years I will change how I see an image and I will print it differently and
it will become a completely different piece of art work. With just as much
standing in my mind as the first print. And the final product will still be
unique (unless I print 20 of them exactly the same).

Excuse my rant, but I was very frightened by the suggestion that we destroy
our negatives after printing them once to achieve "uniqueness".

Lisa