Re: more on Fabriano Artistico

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@uslink.net>
Date: 07/11/04-09:43:16 PM Z

Ryuji,
     Glad you like the Fabriano. I actually have now settled on that for my
paper of choice, but hot pressed, not soft press. The soft press has too
noticeable cross hatched grain in it for my liking. It isn't a huge deal,
but the hot press works great, and if I have any unevenness, I just whisk
the coating with the Jerry's Artarama cheapy badger hair softener. This is
after buying 30 sheets each of cold, hot, and soft, doing every negative
with all three side by side.
     I've been using it all summer unsized, but the next batch I buy I will
probably size, because I worry less, and development times are shorter.
      I do find, too, that it is not easily absorbent. Cyanotype tends to
sit on the top longer than on, like, Rives BFK, even with Tween added. It
is also, as Kerik pointed out, very alkaline. Gum works great, though. I'll
be interested to try liquid emulsion on it, after hearing about your
experience.
     I just really wonder what the sizing agent they use is. It feels like
something akin to glut. An added benefit--it doesn't stink.
     Plus the price at Jerry's Artarama is sooo cheap.
     I also find it is dimensionally stable--even with hanging up with
clothespins, it may be off only a hair's width (estimated 1/32 to 1/64th
inch?) in quarter sheet sizes.
Chris