RE: Ambrotypes, DAGs and TinTypes...

From: Gregory Popovitch ^lt;greg@gpy.com>
Date: 07/12/04-07:41:38 PM Z

The only proven way to preserver daguerreotype is to seal them behind glass.
Their surface is very fragile (even when gilded), and on top of that silver
oxydizes
in contact with oxygen.

Daguerre and others tried various varnishes, but never found anything
satisfactory.
There are some reports of successful protection by electrolytic coating
(copper?) but
such methods never were widely adopted.

gregory