Re: plate holders for dummies

From: David Barker ^lt;dbarker_ca@yahoo.com>
Date: 07/13/04-02:16:32 PM Z

All three of the old large format cameras I have
bought have come with at least a couple of the
original wooden plate holders. These holders seem
fairly common on the market and buying one might be
easier than trying to retrofit a newer type. The
newer holders fit in the old cameras, so I assume (for
the most part) the opposite is true, as long as the
format is the same. The old holders do have a spring
mechanism, as Ryuji notes, and a plate would sit in
the correct focal plane location (these two factors
make them tricky to use for modern film).

The ones I have were designed for dry plates, I don't
know if there were differences between these and the
wet plate holders (I imagine a trough at the bottom
;-).

David Barker