Re: plate holders for dummies

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 07/13/04-01:54:27 PM Z

From: "Adam. Waterson" <artistboi@speakeasy.net>
Subject: plate holders for dummies
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:55:25 -0400

> I was figuring that i'd just butcher a few normal 4x5 film holders
> trying to figure out how to make it work. Does anyone have a practical
> resource for how to make a wet plate holder that still fits into
> traditional 4x5 spring loaded back.

I'm not much older than you to be useful but plates need a different
mechanism to secure in the holder. I think most film holders require
film to be bent when placing but this is impossible with plates. So
plate holders usually have one side that is pushed in by spring. A
plate is pushed against that side when inserting. Then there is
problem with thickness of the base, and how to make up for the plane
of focus. That is, plate holder must have deeper well so that the
surface aligns with where the film was.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.