RE: Gelatin hardening question - Now glyoxal again

From: wcharmon@wt.net
Date: 07/14/04-04:25:33 PM Z

Since you've sent my question down a different track, let me ask a couple of
questions about glyoxal. Does it harden better/faster than chrome alum?
Can it be added directly to the gelatin mix, or does the hardening have to
RE: Gelatin hardening question - Now glyoxal again

Since you've sent my question down a different track, let me ask a couple of
questions about glyoxal. Does it harden better/faster than chrome alum?
Can it be added directly to the gelatin mix, or does the hardening have to
Glyoxal

>Since you've sent my question down a different track, let me ask a couple of
>questions about glyoxal. Does it harden better/faster than chrome alum?

I don't know about better, but my paper is ready to go as soon as it dries, so
it definitely is faster.

>Can it be added directly to the gelatin mix, or does the hardening have to
>be done as a separate step?

I do it by adding a small amount to my gelatin. I usually mix the gelatin up
in 125 or 250ml batches, and add about 6 ml of 40% glyoxal/250ml gelatin. I
coat the paper and dump whatever might be left.