Re: Foxlee Gum Process

From: Dave Soemarko ^lt;fotodave@dsoemarko.us>
Date: 07/15/04-07:42:20 PM Z

> BUT, with what Dave is saying, if I read it correctly, AND with the
> fact that acids will insolubilize gum without exposure, I think what is
> happening is that with pressure the layer of pigment is adhering to the
> image gum left on the paper as per Dave's suggestion (glycerined pigment
> adhering to the hardened gum layer where water does not soak in, but not
> adhering to where the paper will swell with water, correct Dave?) but the
> hardening that occurs to the layer is probably due to acid, not
transferred
> bichromate (which is why 36 hours was necessary; if it was developed right
> away, the gum might swoosh off).

Hi Chris,

Actually my explanation is that there is no hardening. The acid doesn't
insolubilize the gum. The gum has been insolubilized by exposure. The acid
simply breaks the glycerin so that the ink attached better to the already
insolubilized gum.

And I think the reason to wait for 36 hours is so that the "oily ink" can
dry up at least a little.

> The fact that Foxlee and others practiced his process, as did Marion
> practice his, means that something was going on, but that the "something"
> they thought was going on, wasn't, is very likely.

I think so too.

> I'm really only interested in it because it seems like so much work
> when they could be just doing a gum print the easy way. I think wanting
> acclaim for new inventions was uppermost in their minds.

Well, there is actually some advantage to their process. One thing is since
pigment is not added to the colloid, you don't have to worry about staining.
You probably don't have to worry too much about sizing it either.

But I don't know if they truly "invented" the process. I think that many
processes at that time are similar. Afterall, the main thing is simply to
harden the colloid by exposure, and then process it to get an image (one can
use it positively, negatively, mix in pigment, apply pigment later, etc.
etc.) but the basic mechanism is the same although the working procedure to
get the image varies greatly. I don't mean to imply that they lied or
claimed undued originality, but they themselves might not understand the
process that well at that time either.

Dave S