Re: Foxlee Gum Process

From: Dave Soemarko ^lt;fotodave@dsoemarko.us>
Date: 07/15/04-07:39:31 PM Z

Out of Office AutoReply: testI am replying much later than I said I would. It looks like there isn't much
messages on this topic, so I will just be brief and perhaps try to explain
what I have said before. If no one is interested in the subject, then maybe
I (we) should stop here.

> other day that he wanted to understand my thought process. My thought
> process is very simple: (1) I'm thinking about this general assertion
> (made by both Foxlee and Marion) that if you put unexposed,
> undichromated, colloid next to exposed dichromated colloid, and weigh it
> down good, that there is a reaction between the unreacted dichromate in
> the exposed colloid and the unexposed colloid, rendering the unexposed
> colloid insoluble. Foxlee implies that this reaction occurs only in
> image areas. (2) This assertion simply makes no sense. (3) Therefore,
> there must be some other explanation for the reported results. (4)
> Galinsky suggests an alternative explanation: perhaps the pressure
> forces the soluble colloid in with the insoluble colloid. (5) I think
> this hypothesis makes sense. After all, in both descriptions, the thing
> has to be weighted down to make it work, so why wouldn't one suspect
> that it's something mechanical that's doing it, since it's almost
> certainly not a chemical reaction for reasons that have already been
> explained.

Yes, but that seems to ignore some facts. If the weight is able squeeze the
small amount of dichromate out of the hardened image, it should be able to
squeeze more out of the plentiful dichromate from the unhardened part.