Chrysotype Rex / Cyanotype Rex

From: Peter Marshall ^lt;petermarshall@cix.co.uk>
Date: 07/21/04-03:54:09 PM Z

Those not in the UK may not have received their copies of the British
Journal of Photography for today, 21/7/04, but in it is a nicely
illustrated feature by Terry King on these two processes.

You can see something on this at
http://www.hands-on-pictures.com/html/rexhow.html where he says:

"Chrysotype Rex stemmed from some experiments during a ‘Wedgwood to
Bromoil’ workshop at the end of the 1980s. We knew that Herschel had said
that he had made gold prints but that he was not satisfied with the
results. We got an encouraging result but have not pursued the matter
until recently"

My recollection of these experiments were that although it worked fine
with silver and platinum the results we got with gold solution were not
very encouraging. You could make prints (I think I still have one and some
tests that I made) but it wasn't really a usable method. From the
evidence of the article, Terry seems to have developed these ideas much
further now, into a workable process.

Terry has also produced cyanotypes by a similar method, with the advantage
of much shorter exposure times than the normal methods (one reproduced
says 2 minutes exposure) as well as a much greater ability to tone. You
can see some examples on the web page, though not the cyanotype negative
produced in camera shown in the BJP. He will apparently be presenting more
on this at APIS 2004 in September.

The chrysotypes seem to be interesting in terms of colour, and also much
cheaper than other gold printing methods as the gold solution can be
reused. Even so, the 'cyanotype rex' seems more likely to be of much
greater general interest,

Regards

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/