RE: color gamut -- er, working space

From: Eric Neilsen ^lt;e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 07/21/04-03:26:28 PM Z

OK Judy, Now it's my turn.

Yes, as Jack said the RAW is more for the photo junkie. Unless you desire
to really get into as Jack says, I'd just use the Color spaces readily at
hand. Now as for what space to work in, that for me, depends on intent. If
I am to print it myself with an Ink jet on a 7600 or 7000 with color inks
and Image Print I work to Color match RGB. If I am going to out put to a
digital RA4 print ( send to color lab on disk) I ask them what color space
they are working in, many are sRGB, some Adobe 1998. If I am making movies
from scans or quick jpegs, I'll work with them in sRGB and convert later to
NTCS color.

I'd set my PS to convert to my normal intent if I were you, while
maintaining an unaltered copy of the file somewhere. I you might consider
setting up a camera import work flow and name it such in the preferences. If
you set your PS color setting to "ask when opening" you'll have the option
to convert or not (sRGB to Adobe 1998 for instance).

If you think of color spaces as big balloons and the information as air this
might help. Some balloons can handle quite a bit before they explode while
others have a small tolerance for more information. Perhaps we should and a
membrane to our balloons that allow the extra information to slip out
instead of pop.

Try Color Setting, Export, or Download in the manual. I don't have one so
these are all guesses. Also look into JPEGS and see if there is any
discussion of file format

Eric Neilsen Photography

4101 Commerce Street

Suite 9