NEED YOUR HELP RE: Curves for various Alt Processes

From: Temi ^lt;Temi@TemiOriginals.com>
Date: 07/22/04-03:02:18 PM Z

My understanding of curves is this:
* You first adjust your digital image as you desire.
* Then, if you prepare a digital negative from this file, you could
contact print a good image from this neg on regular photo paper in the
darkroom.
* If you plan on printing this image using one of the alt processes,
then a curve would be applied to fit that process.
* MY QUESTION-PROBLEM -- I need to listen to my mind and not apply a
curve for an image/negative that will be contact printed on regular
darkroom photo paper using regular darkroom processes.
Can someone explain under what conditions or for what purpose an
instructor might have students apply a curve to an image not intended
for an alt process.
I am presently in a class and hope someone can give me a reason not to
listen to my mind.
Thanks a million,
Temi