Re: NEED YOUR HELP RE: Curves for various Alt Processes

From: FDanB@aol.com
Date: 07/30/04-07:25:24 PM Z

Sorry this reply is so late in coming.

Last week I finished teaching a workshop in which the students made both
inkjet (Epson 2200) and imagesetter (CopyGraphics in Santa Fe, NM) negs
that they printed on Ilford silver gelatin paper.

Though we had some printer-to-printer variations (the Epsons at this
venue really get worked hard) many of the inkjet negs produced prints
that looked like they came from camera original negatives. By the way, we
were using the Pictorico Photo Gallery High Gloss White Film for the
desktop negs. And when the students had good scans and did their
Photoshop chores neatly, the imagesetter negs were swell as usual too.

Hope this helps!

Dan

>As far as I understand it, Temi, diginegs are not designed for silver.
>The whole digineg thing arose from a need, not from a design purpose, so
>when we print negs from digital files, we are doing something that the
>programs/equipment just weren't designed to do. So yes, you may need to
>apply a curve for silver, just as for any other process. I must say that
>for silver I've never found diginegs that good, although I've used them
>for special applications, when I wanted a large grain structure for
>prints on liquid silver. For smooth, normal silver prints I find them
>too grainy.

Dan Burkholder
P.O. Box 111877
Carrollton, TX 75011-1877
USA
972-242-9819
fax 972-242-9651
dan@danburkholder.com
www.danburkholder.com

Author of the book nobody should be without:
"Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing."

- Albert Einstein

"Knowledge in moderation ain't bad either."
- Dan Burkholder