Re: Olympus 8080

From: Jack Fulton ^lt;jefulton1@comcast.net>
Date: 07/22/04-10:22:27 PM Z

Yeup! Dat's eet.
One beeg honey ov an imaging device.
As I wrote Gord, I saw it $525 but that might be minus batteries.
Search the web.
The more I use it the more impressed I am.
However, I simply dislike the viewfinder solely because it is a video
image rather than a rangefinder.
It gives me RAW files if I am being, well, serious. Even the TIFF files
take a short while to create in the camera.
Though I am not fully privy to the truth of company policy I have it on
record (whatever that means) that the
Olympus folks will release a "Rebel Killer' in a few months this Fall.
The 8080 is bigger than your 'cutie-pie' Judy but it is still a
pro-sumer camera. Their E-1 is professional
and though it's also 8 mpxls the contrast and detail and quality is
noticeable superior if that is what one is
after.
Some photographers for Magnum are using the Olympus.
About two years ago I made blow-ups digitally on an Epson printer to
20x 60 solely from digital files from
their then pro camera. . . . they were for a conference in SF and came
from the 'Day In The Life of Africa' book.
Stay tuned.
Jack Fulton

On Jul 22, 2004, at 8:25 PM, Judy Seigel wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Jack Fulton wrote:

> However, consider the Olympus 8080 for $560 @ RoyalCamera.com. The
> rep has let me 'borrow' one for the past month and it is excellent.
> Magnesium body, 2 cards, RAW files,
> 28-140mm equivalent to 35mm zoom + additional digital zoom.

Is that the 8 megapixel Olympus C 8080???? I was on Park Row yesterday
& irresistibly drawn into J&R which had the C8080 for approximately
$850. Could there be that kind of price difference???

That is a big camera, anyway. It made my G-5 seem teeny & cute. (So,
like the t-shirt says, "It's all relative.")

cheers,

Judy