Re: Xerox Toner

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@uslink.net>
Date: 07/23/04-07:20:39 AM Z

Candace,
     I have not used it in gum printing, so I can't answer you there;
watercolor black is way blacker than I need it. Using a powdered black
pigment like a carbon black, you can get total charcoal effects with a one
coat gum print, and it is very cheap. The staining factor is more a result
of your technique than a given for a pigment.
      However, I do use the toner you are talking about, under a different
name than Xerox. It is called Litho coal, or Chroma coal if in colors, made
by Duva. It's really cool because you can use it like a charcoal powder,
and when done, stick it in the oven and the heat will "set" which means
"melt" the little granules to adhere to the paper. It is a velvety black.
     The benefits of toner colors are that you can do this heat setting
process. How that would apply to a wet process like gum I can only
speculate. If you have some on hand, you could always sprinkle a bit into
some gum arabic and try a test layer. If you do, please share your results.
I know that you could heat set a gum print when finished with a dry mount
press, but I have no idea if that would affect the look of the print at that
point (or melt xerox toner all over your press...). Hmmm....
     I have the Duva, black watercolors, and carbon black powdered pigment,
though, and even though I don't use black in tricolor gums, I would first
reach for the powdered pigment if I was to do a one coat charcoal effect. I
got my powdered pigment from Daniel Smith.
Chris