Re: typeface to go with photographs of various kinds

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 07/26/04-10:26:46 AM Z

From: Jonathan Taylor <jtyr@sover.net>
Subject: Re: typeface to go with photographs of various kinds
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:59:52 -0400

> 2) Avoid those tired "basic" typefaces. We're all probably aware
> that most computers shipped since the 80's came with a basic set of
> free fonts. It goes without saying if you want something subtle,
> distinctive, or fresh, none of these will be suitable. Sadly there
> are some nice designs included in this group: Helvetica, Palatino,
> and Zapf Chancery.

However, there are a few nicely designed fonts that are freely
available though some of them they are not allowed to be distributed
as a part of software packages. Adobe Utopia, Bitstream Charter and
LIDO-STF are my favorites. Other than these, Adobe sells an OpenType
collection for educational users at a ridiculously low price
(considering their regular prices).

> 3) Consider the history and background of the typeface.

Perhaps learning history is not that hard, especially for those
classic ones that can be easily looked up. But background of
computer-age designs seem to require a bit of studying the type to
read the elements... (or even some from 20c before computer age)

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.