RE: hanging a show on brick

From: Eric Neilsen ^lt;e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 07/30/04-08:18:00 AM Z

Since the owner is planning multiple shows, it makes sense to build a rail
system that allows work of various sizes to be displayed. Either a top rail
along the ceiling or one just above where the art work would hang should
work. Although, I'd go with one close to ceiling height to allow for long
pieces to properly hang and give them maximum flexibility for future shows
and move the distraction of the rail out of view. Mount an l shaped rail on
top with a lip; this will hold a sliding bracket. There should be a product
at Container Store to give you an idea. Use a thin strong wire and make
drop downs. I don't have any url's to give you.

It also depends on how much they are willing to spend. You could even go
with small holes just for your work drilled at a slight angle. These would
hold your work, patch easily and allow for some else to tackle the later
shows. Is the brick painted or raw?

Unless the pieces were extremely light, I'd stay away from temporary
holdings such as Velcro. Is there food service as well? If so, you might
consider Plexiglas over your work instead of glass. Just in case the work
gets bumped and falls, it is a lot safer.

The plastic anchors would be fine with individual holes but they require
bigger holes at or near eye height.

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9