Re: Gum Tri-Color Yellow

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 06/03/04-07:00:45 AM Z

Silver Plated wrote:

> Katherine,
>
> My question was based on your statements written as:
>
> >A year or two ago someone was
> also talking about Rowney Permanent Yellow, but at that time Rowney's
> Permanent Yellow (It even had the same number, #664) was made of PY1, an
> entirely different pigment.
> >

> > If you don't have the paint and want to purchase a paint by choosing the
> pigment first (the best way to choose paints IMO unless you have
> infinite funds to buy a lot of paint in a hit and miss fashion) then go
>
> http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/waterfs.html
> >

> I understand the name/number desigantion, I guess what I should have said is that all tube watercolors of a specific number, ID, or color name do not produce equivalent results.

Of course, because paints of the same color name often contain entirely
different pigments, which was my point. I guess your point is that the
same pigment packaged by different manufacturers will be somewhat
different in behavior, but my point is they will be much more similar
than they are different. The analogy I've used before is that not all
eagles, for example, look exactly the same; if you study them you can
get to recognize them by sight as different individuals. But I can see
an eagle flying a mile away and know it's an eagle by the way it flies.
In other words, the difference between eagles isn't great enough that an
eagle could ever be confused even with an osprey, let alone with a
pheasant. The ideal way to identify colors for discussion is the way Tom
did, with the manufacturer and color name as well as by the pigment name
and number.

>So if I understand your last advice, it is best to refer to the color chart at handprint.com for information about the working characteristics of a specific pigment of differing brands. I assume their site has reliable information.

Yes, I trust their information.
kt