Re: Gum Tri-Color Yellow

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 06/03/04-12:14:33 PM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Katharine Thayer wrote:
> > .... I guess your point is that the
> > same pigment packaged by different manufacturers will be somewhat
> > different in behavior, but my point is they will be much more similar
> > than they are different.
>
> In my experience that depends... for instance a Rowney Quinacridone red (I
> think they called it Rose Red) had so little pigment, it required triple
> the paint to look red... which did change its behavior in other respects.

I think perhaps I'm being misunderstood when I say that a certain
pigment will behave pretty much the same no matter who packages it, in
the same way that eagles are eagles and not robins. What I mean is that
no matter who packages it and no matter how they spin it, a certain
pigment will have certain qualities that are the same across the board,
because of the chemical and physical properties of the pigment. A
fugitive pigment is a fugitive pigment, for example, regardless of the
manufacturer. I keep running into people who believe that if it comes
from Winsor & Newton, PR 83 assumes magical qualities and becomes
permanent, or say, almost-sorta-permanent. No, PR 83 is a fugitive
pigment, even if W&N does call it "moderately durable." These are the
kinds of things people need to know and can only find out by knowing
what pigments are in paints and what their characteristics are.

Qualities like how much pigment is in a tube are not inherent to the
pigment, and are of course variable across manufacturers; in fact I keep
making the point again and again that it makes no sense to me to use the
same amount of pigment no matter what the pigment or the brand of
pigment, because pigments vary widely in pigment strength and
manufacturers vary widely in how much pigment they put in a tube. To
use color most intelligently, IMO, for each pigment/brand you should use
the right amount for each individual pigment/brand, which won't be the
same for each. This isn't a difficult task; I just dump in paint until
the color is as saturated as it can possibly get. I don't even actually
have to think about the fact that I use more paint for some colors than
for others to get the same level of color saturation; I just use
"enough" whatever that "enough" turns out to be. I personally wouldn't
bother with a brand that wasn't heavily pigmented, but that's just me.
Katharine