Got it !! Re: help identifying a book

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 06/07/04-10:11:42 PM Z

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> Sigh,
> Everytime I open up a message about "help identifying a book", I
> anticipate an answer to my plight, to no avail...here's hoping beyond hope.

Sigh no more, Christina -- but first I must torture you with why I was at
Strand and its 8 miles of books on a Monday afternoon: The company that
made the only lowfat cottage cheese edible with summer peaches suddenly
changed both its package & its product, which is now a sour, salty, runny,
lumpy mess. I wrote the company an irate letter demanding my $4.09 back,
but the other brands are nearly as disagreeable, with thickeners and other
additives, so I thought I'd try making my own.

Sure enough, Strand's mile-high cookbook section had The Natural Food Book
which not only explains (and illustrates) how cooking kills the vitamins
and folate in fruit and vegetables, and how many calories you burn when
you're sleeping, sitting, standing, running, etc., but tells how to make
your own cottage cheese -- among much else..($7.50)

Naturally it's not possible to leave Strand without a glance at the
photography shelves, where I managed to resist several Ansel Adams books
but noticed a spiral back, which is always intriguing -- This turned out
to be the Handbook for Contemporary Photography by Arnold Gassan SECOND
EDITION. (Mine was 4th.) Bichromate-Based Images begins p.103, and ends
with Photogravure p.107, which I recall as the order & pages you cited.

This "2nd edition Revised and Expanded" was published 1971, 3rd printing
June 1972 "with errata." Published at $4.95, Strand price, $2.50.

Do you want it? (No obligation, I'm happy to keep it.) The last sentence
in the book, by the way, is "Color gum and silkscreen images can be
combined with platinum, ferrocyanotype, gravure and conventional silver
images for other possibilities." (Clearly a man ahead of his time.)

Finally, speaking of gum in early books, you mention Betty Hahn & Bea
Nettles... I don't believe Bea Nettles did gum, or not until later. Her
process was Quick Print (or more likely Qwik Print), originally developed
for proofing color offset, made by a company in Brooklyn called Direct
Reproduction. When Nettles got divorced from one of the figures in that
company she changed processes. (Or that's the story I got 3rd or 4th hand.
No guarantee.)

Now I need to find rennet for my cottage cheese -- we used to buy it as
Junket, but that's gone the way of the lit-dial electric alarm clock.

sigh,

Judy