Re: Got it !! Re: help identifying a book

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@uslink.net>
Date: 06/08/04-07:44:12 AM Z

Yee ha and thanks! This makes sense to me that Gassan wrote it. for one
(you gum printers will like this), he talks about measuring out quantities
in a 1 oz. plastic cup because it is large enough in diameter to minimize
the effect of the meniscus. I don't know about you, but worrying about
being so exact in my measures as to be concerned with a meniscus is a bit
overkill with gum.

For two, in here, he talks about the paper expanding when wet (Rives BFK)
15% of its length! Now here I did a little math, because as I said before,
I would be surprised that a 22x30 sheet does expand 4.5 inches in one
direction, but if I take 15% of the area of the sheet, that would be only an
inch all the way around, so it is possible that paper, especially Rives,
expands this much. But he does mention that bichromate emulsions are
photosensitive when wet, and other good things, and I like his succinct
writing style.

Yes I would like the book; I am much interested in multiple editions of the
same author to see how the process changed thru time. You'll like this
Judy: Paul Anderson in one book talks about having a--what I
calculated--quart and a half of gum solution preserved perfectly for 16
years in one book, and then in another book 4 years later he talks about
having a gum solution 18 years. I wonder, does the guy ever gum print?? Or
did he just mix up oodles at once and had a leftover supply? I went thru a
liter of gum this semester alone! And then he originally says that all
prints can be had in 4-6 coats, and then modifies that to 5-8...this kind of
stuff interests me, why changes might have occurred. Also in when gum went
from "bi" to "di" and other such things.

One more thing about research--there are two books at the Harry Ransom
center I want: Hofmeister wrote a book on gum and so did Puyo. Harry
Ransom Center in Austin will NOT send the books to Clemson for my use
(understandable), nor xerox the books in entirety due to copyright
restrictions. These books are 100 years old--copyright??!!! One is in
French, which I can read; the other is German, which I can't. I can't send
my German translator to Austin for a vacation! I am quite bummed....I wish
there were someone I knew there who was German....
Chris