Re: Tartaric acid in van dykes

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 06/08/04-12:53:12 AM Z

From: Michael Healy <emjayhealy@earthlink.net>
Subject: Tartaric acid in van dykes
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 22:03:09 -0700

> Stupid question time. I need some tartaric acid for VD. I don't have
> any, but I do cook/bake, and so I happen to have an ample supply of
> Creme de la T. Their formulae are a bit different. Does this matter
> for photographic purposes?

I don't have any experience with Van Dyke (I use silver in some other
ways) but cream of tartar is potassium hydrogen tartarate and this is
less acidic than tartaric acid. If your application is sensitive to
acidity, I'd not substitute unless you want to somehow adjust the pH
afterward. Incidentally, Rochelle salt is potassium sodium tartrate.

Then I could go on about the difference between baking soda and baking
powder, etc. but I guess it was discussed before.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.