RE: new website

From: Kate Mahoney ^lt;kateb@paradise.net.nz>
Date: 06/15/04-01:30:32 AM Z

Kate Mahoney Photography

-----Original Message-----
From: Ricardo Wildberger Lisboa [mailto:wildberger@svn.com.br]
Sent: Tuesday, 15 June 2004 3:20 p.m.
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Subject: RES: new website

Congratulations Kate. Very nice work. What kind of paint did you use in
your gum prints?
I used to use Winsor & Newton watercolour paints but I switched to
Maimeri brand last year as they are much more concentrated.
I noticed that in some of them you used orange instead of
magenta; did I see it right?
Good observation - I like burnt Sienna as red and am going to try
another red or two - I'm not really interested in accurate colour
representation most of the time...more the atmosphere of the work.
Could you share with us some information about
your sizing method (or any sizing at all), or whether you had to deal
with
stain?
I size with gelatine because I don't seem to be able to find a paper
that I like that will print without some pigment stain (and I find this
varies with different pigments and is totally unpredictable).

What about the film you used? Was it done digitally on an inkjet
printer?

Yes, I do print digitally. I still have a lot of wrinkles to sort out
with density but I'm getting there slowly. I have an Epson C40UX believe
it or not, with 3-colour inks (cringe), but have been able to produce
quite adequate negs for gum. I must emphasize that any faults in density
etc are purely because I'm still learning how to tune negs for gum and
also how to print for different tonal emphasis.

 Thanks for the feedback,

Kate