Re: dichromate stain

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@uslink.net>
Date: 06/15/04-07:51:11 PM Z

Hey Tom,
    I'll throw in another theory (thinking about Judy's water theory):
today, reading thru the articles out of the BJP on gum, I came across one
from 1882 about a particular dichromate process: the writer nonchalantly
said that it was common knowledge "...to Calico printers that dichromate
thus altered by exposure to light forms a mordant...", meaning that it would
grab onto dyes in direct proportion to exposure, when the printed cloth was
immersed in a dye bath. Now, iron was one of the substances used in this
guy's photographic process that attached itself to bichromate. How about
iron content in our water? Of the three places I have gum printed, the only
one that has city water is SC, and it smells like bleach. Here in MN and
also in MT huge amounts of iron in the water--both well water. My prints
have been clearest in SC, but I just assumed that the more stain I've been
seeing here was due to working on unsized paper. I guess I could test it in
a dev bath of distilled water for my next print, since I have a gallon on
hand...never a dull moment in the gum world.
Chris