Re: dichromate stain

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 06/15/04-07:05:06 PM Z

OK, I'll add my data points to this confusion ;-)

I use to get moderate dichromate stain. I now get almost none. I'm 99%
sure it went away (many years ago) when I installed a fan in my
light-box. I've always "assumed" that the ballasts in my UV tubes were
generating enough heat to "mess with the system".

I know I can keep coated paper for 6 hours without visible difference
(dark hardening), I've never tried longer than that. I'm in Southern
California, a moderate distance from the ocean. It is typically 35 to
40% humidity and 74 degree in my darkroom.

OK, I have to go back to editing and photoshopping images of farm
equipment...... I saw "Blowup" as a kid...... I just knew that
photography would be an exciting and glamourous career :-(

On Tuesday, June 15, 2004, at 04:16 PM, Keith Gerling wrote:

> I've been too busy printing gum to read about printing gum, but for the
> record:
>
> 1) Using halogen, fluorescent UV tubes, and a Violux plate burner, I've
> never had dichromate stain. I've never seen it. In fact, I'm not
> sure I
> know what it looks like. (so maybe I do have it... nah - I've used
> Sodium
> Bisulphate on occasion. It does nothing.)
>
> 2) I've never experienced dark-hardening. Where I live in the
> Midworst,
> it's been extremely humid. I'm still developing prints I coated
> yesterday -
> no problem. They behave just like the prints I develop in the crispy
> dry
> winter.
>
> Keith

Tom Ferguson