Re: dichromate stain

From: Dave Soemarko ^lt;fotodave@dsoemarko.us>
Date: 06/16/04-09:05:05 AM Z

> 2) I've never experienced dark-hardening. Where I live in the Midworst,
> it's been extremely humid. I'm still developing prints I coated
yesterday -
> no problem. They behave just like the prints I develop in the crispy dry
> winter.

Hi Keith,

I think it might be because the effect is not very noticable though. You can
still develop the print without problem, but the effect might be there but
subtle. I once did a test where with paper exposed immediately after it has
been dried, after 4 hours, 8 hours, etc. up to 2 days if I remember
correctly, and I did notice a difference. The tests were done with step
tablet.

The effect of dark hardening is that the gum is hardened everywhere and at
every thickness rather than proportional to exposure. If the paper is
allowed to dark hardened just right (before it causes fog), then the effect
is that you have a slightly longer scale (because in effect you are using a
harder gum so the highligh won't wash out as quickly). I believe this is
part of the reason some literature says that some people like to use the
paper the next day after coating. Knowing this effect, however, I found that
I can achieve the same thing by preflashing (after test strip and calculate
the right amount of flashing just like one would calculate the preflashing
for paper or negative).

Dave S