Re: powdered albumen

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 06/19/04-12:31:55 PM Z

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> Note on egg whites:
> I went to every health store/co-op in town looking for powdered egg
> whites; no go. I tried online to find it. Couldn't. Then on a fluke I
> called Cub foods (regular grocery store chain) after Judy gave the brand
> name, below, of Deb El, and sure enough, they carried Deb El; it was "next
> to the sugar in the baking dept." Pure egg whites with no additives of any
> sort. Go figure.

Chris, will you call Cub foods and ask if they have rennet (sometimes
called rennin)? I've been in 15 so-called health food stores -- they never
heard of it. Then they look it up on some website or other which says
"available in health food stores." The best hint I got was from a man
running a health food store who said his mother makes cottage cheese with
lime juice. I did that, but it takes a lot of lime and the hand squeezing
takes forever... So far I achieved one great batch, one terrible batch --
but, on the bright side, I get to use my old darkroom dip and dunk
fahrenheit-metric mercury thermometer. (I also lost 18 pounds, but I don't
know if there's a connection.)

J.