Re: Anyone given Color Daguerreotypes a try?

From: Phillip Murphy ^lt;pmurf@bellsouth.net>
Date: 06/21/04-04:46:12 AM Z

The diffraction method works on a different
physical principle. The one that I referred to
utilizes the phenomena of prismatic dispersion.
Gabriel Lippmann did work on theories
related to prismatic dispersion as well as
diffraction techniques in 1906.

Lippmann communicated the theory to the
Academie in the summer of 1906. However,
two years earlier Dr. Julius Rheinberg
(those familiar with microscopy will recognize
the name for his invention of optical staining
termed "Rheinberg Illumination") presented papers
in England and received a patent for an apparatus
of his design that created color photography using
prismatic dispersion.

Evidently, Gabriel Lippmann worked out the
principles independently of Rheinberg; having
no translations available of Rheinberg's earlier work.

-phillip